Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Week 8, 9 and 10

3 weeks since I've blogged.

I really should go back and re-read what I wrote last.

I hope I don't leave too much out. I'm changing my plans. I'm just NOT getting My Father's World to click this year.

I ordered Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum today. We started our home school journey with Victoria using LFBC. I was impressed with her progress... then the grass started looking greener on the other side. I stumbled across Ambleside Online --- where you do school all day long just by reading books. Oh... I was in heaven. I had to do all the planning. YUCK... then I found My Father's World. Oh JOY! No more planning... but now I have 5 kids. I just ACK!! I just can't do it. Too much. I need workbook school. I need to be able to say. "Here is what you have to do - now do it." Ü We are a reading family... they will read... they will read great literature... but they will also be using workbooks to get the information that they need to get.

I posted our My Father's World curriculum on a yahoo message board that is set up for only selling MFW stuff. I have sold most of the used stuff... I must have the NEW stuff priced too high. I think my next option will be e-bay. Scary route, because you are guaranteed to get what you want out of it. I've heard set you price as what you NEED to get out of it. Well -- that would be a pretty high starting price. So -- I'm waiting on e-bay... waiting...

So -- LFBC... it's the route I need to go right now, and I've promised Dan that I will stick with this for the next several years. Through then end actually... until I only have 1 kid left... then I'll have all the time in the world to do planning... maybe we'll go back to Ambleside Online. OH! I'm just kidding. I'm sticking wtih LFBC!! I'm liking the fact that they have an academy program deal and you can pay extra when they kids are in highschool and get a transcript that you can hand to a college when they are done. That's always an option.

We have been doing Math and library books for the last 3 weeks. Handwriting thrown in every once in a while. Who knew I'd had to air my dirty laundry this way. I stink at home school sometimes.

The week of Oct 20th, we did 4 days of school. That was the week of Tori's 1st ortho visit and a dentist appointment in Des Moines on 2 different days.

The week of Oct 27th, we did 3 days of school. That week Tori got braces, and we also had a basketball sign up meeting in the middle of the day on Friday.

The week of Nov 3rd, we did 5 days of school. Amazing. I'm feeling better now and we are trying to finish the day early so we can take Tori to basketball practice.

I think I'll start a new post of the new plan!

Let me get my calculator... brb...44 days so far. Oh... that means only 104 days left. Woo Hoo... We'll be doing school through December now. Once the new books come... I'll recalculate what we have to do. We may just do it year round and only take breaks for when Dan takes vacation. Push, push, push. There's always Thanksgiving and Christmas. LOL

No comments: