Monday, January 26, 2009

Week 5 and 6 of LFBC

Ok -- so it looks like we are doing week 6 of school over... it's just week 6 of this curriculum. Woo Hoo -- do you know what this means? I've been consistently doing school for a long time! LOL

So far so good with Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum. I still like it. I have set up report cards on the computer -- I put in formulas so that it will figure a final grade when all I do it enter in each week's weekly study guide score and weekly quiz score. Just like in school. My dh likes it that way. He wants to know everyone's "grades".

Milo is getting an A+ in Math. He is on lesson 74 of 100 EZ lessons. Now we are learning letter NAMES (not sounds) and reading them the "different" way. No more long sound marks, or joined letters. He is doing his lesson right now actually. He was to read the story and when he wanted to he was to ask ME a question about the story. So -- I started blogging while he was reading. He didn't think I was listening. :snicker: I wasn't really -- he was right. But he was leave his finger on the sentence and then ask me a question... I'd act like I was thinking... quickly and silently (that's the key) read the sentence and answer the question. He said "WOW, you are good Mom." Oh man... some day I'll confess -- but not today. He'd done reading now -- I'm so proud of him. Steady Eddie... never gives up! He'll finish this book some day. What I am so very glad about is that we are learning at this pace at home -- where there is no pressure to hurry or any feelings of being left behind.

Mansel's report card is widely varied. He is getting a B+ in Math. He just had a bad week where he left a lot of work undone... we'll put a stop to that. I'll hound him for sure. He'll bring that back up to an A soon. He really isn't doing so hot in English. He was wandering off and doing that subject in the cushy chair. Until that grade comes up and he shows me he is comprehending what he is learning -- he'll sit on the hard stool next to me. Today was verbs... he got it quickly... it could be a hurrying thing there too. We'll see.

Tori -- poor Tori. She a slacker. She's got a lot of rework to do. As I have been correcting I've been writing notes to them. They'll have to go back and make their corrections. I don't want them to leave the work wrong. So -- she now has to do all her work in pencil. She has a lot of rework. Some of the things I think I'll have to retype so she can re-do. MOST of it is just not trying. She was trying to do school while listening to her mp3 player. Well -- not now. AND she does her work in the dining room and not her bedroom. Just too many distractions (horse books) in that room. It's just school in general -- she's rather be doing anything else but school. When nice weather hits it's going to be even harder. I sure hope it will be an incentive for her to get her work done so she can go outside. I hope, I hope, I hope!

That being said... I'm all caught up with the grading and their grades are on the computer. THAT is a good feeling!

75 days + 9 more = 84... why not 10? Well -- I went shopping and left the kiddos home with Dan. They cleaned the house instead of school. I guess it could be counted as home ec... but I think I'll count it as a day off. ;)

148-84 = 64 dayS left. Now THAT is a good feeling. Ü

I've been talking a bit with Dan about our schedule. We essentially started over with school in November. Not the number of days, but the work. So I'm not going to promote them until they work is done... but I'll quit counting after 148. So I think I'll still take off April and August like we usually do. We'll just have to start our "school year" in November. We'll always be off... but I don't mind. Dan mentinoed that he would want some time off if he were a kid. So -- we'll stick to the 3 months on, 1 month off as before.

No comments: